Thursday, May 30, 2013

Take Your Child to Work Day


April 25th was Take Your Child to Work Day. Every year since Leila has been born I have wanted to bring her to school on that day, but have resisted the urge. But this year she finally came with me to school for WHOLE day! She was so excited and I figured it would be a great experience for her to have prior to starting kindergarten in the fall. She finished morning work just like the others students and I even called her with a reading group. Here is one of her morning work pages: 


I listen to Leila read ALL the time, but (get ready for some bragging!) it was extra special to hear her with my first graders!! She read this solo story completely correct with an appropriate fluency rate!!!! This is unit #21 of #38...meaning that the district expectation is to complete 38 units by the end of first grade and Leila is already at least half-way to reaching that goal before she even starts kindergarten! Hey, at least I warned you that I was going to brag! Needless to say, my heart was bursting with PRIDE!!


Leila made friends with everyone in the class and my kids were ten times better at listening and following directions for the day. I think they wanted to impress Leila. One of her favorite new friends was Miss Cameryn. Leila stuck by Cam like glue.


Lunch time in the cafeteria:

Since it was a special day, we stopped at Menchie's on the way home for a froyo treat. Yum! It was so much fun for me to have my girl in class with me all day. A great memory for this mama.


No comments: