Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Weekend in Coquille

We spent the weekend with my Mom's side of the family in Coquille, OR. This is the small town near the coast where my Papa Holmstrom was born and raised. A few second and third cousins still live there and we were invited to see the community theater show that my third cousin (I guess that is right???) plays the piano for. June is in her 70s and still going strong playing the piano for most of the shows throughout the summer nights.

My favorite part of the trip was spending time before the show on Saturday visiting with my relatives and seeing the "ol' stompin' grounds" of my Papa.

This was my Great Grandmother's house. The renters were kind enough to let us come in and see the inside too. June and her husband live right next door and they rent Great Grandma's house out. This is the house where my Papa and Grammy got married.
Showing Leila around was pretty neat for my Mom, who remembers playing here at her Grandma's place.

Woody, Chris, June and Jim enjoying some music before the show.
Leila on the hillside of the property. There have now been 4 generations of Holmstrom kids to play amongst these trees!



Leila and Grammy
Aunt Faffy (Kathy) and L. L is enjoying some back rubbing.
June at the piano for the Sawdust Theater show.
June rigged it so Chris would be called on stage during the show to dance the ballet. Leila cried the entire time because he was too close to the "mean guy" (the villain of the show, out of the shot). She was worried for her Dad.

The drive was long, but we really enjoyed getting to see the area. We are hoping to go back soon and spend a little more time in Coquille.

No comments: